Keep the workout fun while pushing clients towards their health and fitness goals using the fundamentals of scientifically proven, research-based fitness training.
Formal Education/Primary Certification
Honours Bachelors degree in Human Kinetics (The University of Guelph). NSCA Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS).
Sports specific conditioning / plyometrics, muscular endurance training, metabolic conditioning, stability and core training, and hypertrophy training.
Eighteen years experience as a certified personal trainer and fitness consultant. Fitness contributor to Men’s Health, Wish, Best Life and Driven magazines. CPR and AED certified.
Active in tennis, hockey, rock climbing, wakeboarding, mountain biking, and basketball
Jamie McKenzie was born with severe asthma, and had to battle his way through many hospital visits, asthma attacks and extensive medication at a young age. It was regular exercise that helped transform his life and enabled him to end his need for prescription medication and live a life unhindered by this chronic disease. His experience as a trainer now ranges from working for the NHL Scouting Combine, to training professional athletes and testing firefighters, to training those with diabetes, hypertension, cerebral palsy and many other chronic diseases and disabilities.
- Registered Kinesiologist with the College of Kinesiologists of Ontario
- Certified Exercise Physiologist and a professional member of the Canadian Society of Exercise Physiology (CSEP)
- Specialized Honours Degree in Kinesiology and Health Science
- Certificate in Fitness Assessment and Exercise Counselling
Matthew pursued a Bachelor of Physical and Health Education while at Queen’s University. During his time there, he looked not only at the physiological implications of exercise, but behavioral and social as well. He believes there is a lot more to it than just calories in and calories out. By exploring many ways to look at health and fitness, he truly can help anyone take the experience they have and turn it into results.
After completing four years at Queen’s University, he continued his education by taking several courses each year, reading and rereading countless books and journals, and practising around the city. Some of these courses include NSCA’s Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist, Fascial Stretch Therapist, and StrongFirst Kettlebell Instructor. Matthew views continued learning as essential to growing his understanding of myriad health and fitness issues present today.
Matthew enjoys working with the busy professional, mom, and dad who have little time. By showing them the most effective ways to exercise and train, he can help all busy professionals be efficient with their time and results. Using a holistic approach tailored to everyone’s unique experience, he can zero in on the most effective thing to help right now, and what you should be aiming at. Matthew believes we all have different starting points, and it’s important to meet everyone where they are. By listening closely to each client’s individualized goal, Matthew can then use his unique knowledge of anatomy, behavioral psychology and experience to help them reach it.
- Bachelor of Physical and Health Education
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist
- StrongFirst Kettlebell Instructor
- Fascial Stretch Therapist
Shirley earned her Bachelor of Science degree in Kinesiology and Health Science from York University in 2008, and went on to complete her Master of Science degree in Exercise Sciences at the University of Toronto in 2012. She is a Registered Kinesiologist and Certified Personal Trainer (CSEP). Shirley is a Pre & Post Natal Fitness Consultant with a number of certifications in women’s health dedicated to fitness training for those with diastasis recti and pelvic floor dysfunction. She is also a certified Hypopressives Instructor.
Shirley has extensive experience designing exercise programs for a diverse population with many health and injury considerations. She is fuelled by a passion for helping individuals move better, feel stronger, and achieve active, healthy lifestyles. Her MSc focused on motor control and learning, and she applies this knowledge in helping individuals learn and re-learn how to connect with the bodies. Shirley loves learning about all forms of movement, including taking courses that include gait analysis, and has also trained and developed her skills in K-Tape application.
In her spare time Shirley enjoys weight training, knitting, and getting buried in a good book. When Shirley is not at Totum you’ll find her sipping a strong coffee, playing with her nephews, or geeking out about health and fitness with friends and colleagues.
Sam is Totum’s Youth Performance Coordinator and Head Coach of the Totum Youth Training Academy, a program designed for competitive athletes to enhance physical literacy, fundamental movement skills, injury protection and performance enhancement.
Sam graduated with a BSc. (Hons) in Kinesiology from York University, and is a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist through the National Strength and Conditioning Association, and Youth Fitness Specialist by the International Youth Conditioning Association. Sam has extensive experience in working with youth, and is passionate about injury protection, performance enhancement and empowering young athletes with knowledge and practical skills.
Sam has experience training professional athletes, Olympians, and collegiate athletes with the University of Toronto’s Varsity Blues and FITS Toronto’s High Performance Program. She has also been able to work for various youth sport organizations at all levels including Community Kicks!, the Toronto FC, and Toronto Raptors.
Formal Education/Primary Certifications
- BSc. Kinesiology (Hons), York University
- Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist, National Strength & Conditioning Association
- Youth Fitness Specialist, International Youth Conditioning Association
- C-Licence, Canadian Soccer Association
- Technical Coach & Strength and Conditioning Coach, North Toronto Soccer Club
- Strength & Conditioning Coach, University of Toronto – Varsity Blues
- Athlete Development Coach, FITS Toronto
- Standard First Aid- CPR Level C
- C-Licence, Canadian Soccer Association
- Children’s Licence (candidate), Canadian Soccer Association
- Making Ethical Decisions, Coaching Association of Canada
- Respect in Sport, Coaching Association of Canada
- Making Headway in Sport, Coaching Association of Canada
Jesse has a Bachelors Degree in Kinesiology from the University of Toronto, and years of experience working as a personal trainer and strength & conditioning coach. He has worked with a wide range of people, from professional and Olympic athletes to those who simply train so they can stay healthy, feel great, and enjoy their weekly sports and activities. He is also an award-winning varsity athlete in both soccer and badminton, having won two national championships and numerous provincial championships during his time in post-secondary education.
Jesse is a strong advocate for movement education, and specializes in sport-specific training. He believes that understanding how the body moves—and how it produces and absorbs force safely—is the most important part of any training program. Jesse also spent some time in his career teaching in the Faculty of Kinesiology at U of T, working with undergraduate students (1st, 2nd and 3rd year students) in the practical section of their BKIN degrees, many of whom continued on with their own careers in personal training. Currently, he also works as a youth technical soccer coach at North Toronto Soccer Club, with over a hundred young aspiring competitive soccer players between the ages 10 and 12.
Mandy obtained her degree in Honours Bachelor of Science Kinesiology (H.BSc.Kin) from McMaster University in 2015. She went on to graduate from Sutherland-Chan in 2016 with a Diploma of Massage Therapy, and became registered with the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (RMT).
During her undergrad, Mandy competed as a McMaster University Varsity Soccer player, and interned as a strength & conditioning coach and student therapist with various McMaster Varsity teams. She has experience training athletes in the Hockey Canada, Basketball Canada, and Rugby Canada programs.
Mandy’s clinic experience has extended from relaxation massages to treating conditions including sports injuries, postural imbalances, stroke survivors, pre-/post-natal, and post-operative care.
Her treatments aim to restore pain-free functional movements by incorporating soft tissue manipulation techniques and rehabilitation exercises. Mandy strives to help her clients and athletes improve their quality of life and performance by optimizing their physical and mental well-being.
In her spare time Mandy enjoys playing soccer, trying new food and venturing around for some great lookouts.
- Level 2 Personal Trainer
- B.A. Kinesiology from the University of Windsor
- C.F.C. George Brown College
- Certified Personal Trainer (A.C.E.)
- C.P.R. certified
- Member of the Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology
- NSCA-CPT Certified Personal Trainer, National Strength and Conditioning Association
Personal Training for Greg is about helping a client to get results beyond their initial expectations. Greg provides personalized fitness assessments, program design, sport specific and functional training.
Greg loves team sports such as basketball and hockey. When you don’t see him at Totum Life Science, you can catch Greg pedalling around the city on his bike.
Dr. Jonathon Ross
- Honours Bachelor of Kinesiology (Queen’s University)
- Doctorate of Chiropractic (Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College, Toronto)
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS)
- Active Release Techniques® Provider (ART)
- Contemporary Medical Acupuncture (McMaster University)
Jonathon pursued a Bachelor of Science degree in Kinesiology at Queen’s University. While at Queen’s, he was part of a team of undergraduate and graduate students conducting research on the physiological adaptations that occur with sport, high-intensity interval training and structured physical exercise. Their research was published in The European Journal of Applied Physiology. To gain experience in the field of sports therapy, Jonathon worked as a trainer for the Men’s Varsity hockey team for two years.
After completing his undergraduate degree, Jonathon continued his education by pursuing a four-year Doctorate of Chiropractic at the Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College (CMCC) in Toronto. While at CMCC, he interned at Endeavor Sports Performance in New Jersey to better understand the program design and practical applications of strength and conditioning for athletes at an elite/professional level.
His professional experience includes working with athletes from Athletics Canada Track and Field, University of Toronto Sprints and Hurdles, OVA, OTA, Tennis Canada, NCAA, CIS, GTHL, OJHL, NHL. He is also currently working as the Head of Sports Medicine for the Newmarket Hurricanes Junior A Hockey Organization.
Jonathon uses a functional approach to his assessment of the neuro-musculoskeletal systems, and a combination of manual therapy techniques, exercise and education to help his patients reach their health and wellness goals.
- Registered Holistic Nutritionist- Diploma in Nutrition from Canadian School of Natural Nutrition 2009
- Stott Pilates Certified Instructor Trainer- Mat, Reformer, Cadillac, Chair, Barrels, and ISP 2001
- ACE Certified Personal Trainer
- Graduate of the Quinte Ballet School
- Reiki Therapist, Level One
Andrea Fairborn is a Registered Holistic Nutritionist and a STOTT PILATES certified Instructor Trainer, and has been dedicated to the science and art of wellness for over a decade. Originally a professional dancer, Andrea has incorporated her love of movement with the foundations of Pilates practice, and expanded her expertise and passion for health by going into the field of nutrition.
Andrea has traveled extensively through out North America as a presenter and instructor of Pilates, yet is now focused on building her nutrition practice at Totum Life Science in Toronto. A graduate of Canadian School of Natural Nutrition, Andrea is able to guide clients to achieve wellness through a pure diet. Andrea is trained in all aspects from weight management, allergy support, digestive issues, Candidiasis, just to name a few. It is Andrea’s main goal to support her clients in their quest to be healthy by tailoring a diet specific to their individual needs working with alive, whole, and natural foods.
As a personal trainer, Miranda has the passion and skill set to help clients accomplish their health and fitness needs and goals. She specializes in functional strength and conditioning, with a heavy focus on client assessment and progression, to build strong, fast, agile, and functionally mobile clients.
Miranda has trained as a competitive gymnast, and has gone through the trials and tribulations of reaching a high level of athletic performance. Injuries over the years have given her a true appreciation for effective rehabilitative and pre-habilitative techniques. Her aim is to get clients functioning and performing at their peak optimal levels. With a focus on function, she wants her clients as strong and well-conditioned as possible, and places importance on functional strength and mobility, as well as achieving optimal body composition.
- 5 years of personal training experience with the general population
- 5 years of gymnastics coaching
- Nutritional coaching
- Training youth athletes
- Rehabilitative exercise programming
- Fat loss and hypertrophy programming
- Certified Exercise Physiologist (CSEP-CEP)
- Post graduate diploma in Exercise Science for Health and Performance
- Bachelor of Physical Education (Brock University)
- CPR-C and Standard First AID
- PICP level 1 and 2 (Poliquin International Coaching Program)
- Functional Nutrition (Irish Strength Training Institute)
- Fascial Stretch Therapy (Stretch To Win)
- Beach volleyball, basketball, soccer, swimming
- Varsity cheerleading for Brock University
- Ongoing self education via pod-casts, journal articles, courses
- Cooking nutritional, fuel-focused meals
- Bachelor of Physical Education and Health, University of Toronto
- Bachelor of Applied Health Sciences (Athletic Therapy), Sheridan Institute, High Honours
- CAT(c), Certified Athletic Therapist
- First Responder Certified, CPR-HCP
Sean is a Certified Athletic Therapist with the Canadian Athletic Therapy Association (CATA) and a personal trainer with 8 years of experience. He holds a degree from the University of Toronto in Physical Education and Health where he also competed as a varsity football quarterback. He excelled in the Sheridan Athletic Therapy program and graduated with high honours. Sean has worked with a range of teams and athletes from high school, university and the Olympic levels in clinical and competition settings.
As a Certified Athletic Therapist, Sean assesses injuries and conditions, uses contemporary rehabilitative techniques, therapeutic modalities, soft tissue mobilization, physical reconditioning, and supportive strapping procedures to promote an environment conducive to optimal healing in preparing the individual for safe reintegration into an active lifestyle. Sean specializes in sport-specific training as well as general conditioning to help individuals perform their activities of daily living with more ease. As a trainer and therapist, Sean combines evidence-based practices with creative and fun strategies. In his spare time, Sean plays basketball and golf, skis, and stays in shape at the gym or in the park.
Level 3 Personal Trainer
Formal Education/Primary Certifications:
- Medical Exercise Specialist, American Association of Health, Fitness and Rehab Professionals (AAHFRP)
- Registered Holistic Nutritionist, Canadian School of Natural Nutrition (CSNN)
- Neural Re Education Specialist, Z Health Performance
- RocDoc (Fascial Movement Taping), Rocktape Canada
- Kettlebell Instructor, Agatsu Canada
- Personal Training Specialist, Can Fit Pro
9 + years training experience, with a specific focus on medical exercise, womens health, weight loss, and chronic pain. Varya believes in an integrative approach to health, with a focus on client education and results.
- medical exercise, corrective exercise + chronic pain management
- postural and gait assessment + movement screening
- joint mobility and natural movement techniques
- visual and vestibular training
- kettlebell training
- weight loss
- Spinal Injury Mechanisms and Rehabilitation, McGill
- Lateral ankle sprain management and chronic ankle instability management, Human Kinetics
- Joint mobility Specialist, Agatsu Canada
- Natural Movement Techniques, MovNat
- Balance Training, Twist Conditioning
- Kids Yoga Instructor, Rainbow Kids Yoga
Yoga, Mindfulness, Cooking, Herbal Medicine, Hiking
- Bachelor of Science, University of Toronto
- Stott certified Instructor Trainer and Stott certified Instructor
- Over 20 years formal dance training and over 10 years professional dance experience in Canada and abroad
- Pilates and dance-based conditioning
- Extra activities
- Avid swimmer
- Examiner and presenter for Stott Pilates in Canada and the U.S.
Mike’s main motivation behind choosing a career in fitness is basically his own personal health history. He was born with a rare bladder and kidney disorder and has had to learn how to make healthy choices for his life. His approach to training for health is to make your life better outside of the gym — to give you the ability to do the things you enjoy.
He has over five years of personal training experience combined with group class instruction and over 10 years of muscle conditioning experience. He specializes in exercise prescription/design, core and balance training, sport specific training, and power/strength training. His sport is beach volleyball.
- Level 3 Personal Trainer
- Bachelor of Arts (York University)
- Fitness and Lifestyle Management Diploma (George Brown College)
- NSCA – CSCS, CPT
- STOTT Pilates Full Certification including Injuries and Special Populations
- CanFitPro Certified Personal Trainer
- Certified Fascial Stretch Therapist™ Level I Lower Body (CFST-I-LB)
- Schwinn Certified Instructor
- Thai Yoga Massage Level 1
- First Aid and CPR training
- Level 3 trainer
Aida is a fully certified STOTT Pilates instructor and personal trainer. She specializes in rehabilitative and functional training, and focuses on core strength and joint stability. Her aim is to try to create a balance between the body’s strength, stability, mobility and flexibility. Pilates is a great way to incorporate all these aspects of training and will complement any sport or weight program, as well as activities of daily living. In her free time, Aida enjoys tennis, cycling, swimming, running, and golf, as well as playing the guitar and singing. She is fluent in French, Portuguese, Spanish and English.
- Can-Fit-Pro Personal Trainer Specialist
- BoSu Certified
Stu is an elite personal trainer with 17 years of training experience in Canada, New York, and the Caribbean. Over his career, he has helped hundreds of clients reach their strength, endurance, and fat loss goals in a relaxed and fun environment. Raised in Collingwood, Ontario, Stu is a lifelong athlete playing high-level hockey, downhill mountain bike racing, golfing, skiing, snowboarding, and running.
Strength training, increasing muscle size and tone, training for aesthetics, and fat loss.
Level 3 Personal Trainer
- Post-Injury Conditioning
- Movement Optimization
- Sports/Athletic Conditioning
Formal Skills Training
- Fascial Stretch Therapy™
- Animal Flow®
- Bodyweight Strength-StrongFirst SFB
- BPHE Physical and Health Education, BA Health/Psychology, Queen’s University
- CSCS – Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist, National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA)
- FMS-1 – Functional Movement Systems
- MES – Medical Exercise Specialist, PRCS – Post Rehab Conditioning Specialist, American Association of Health Fitness and Rehab Professionals (AAHFRP)
- PN – Precision Nutrition Certified, Precision Nutrition Inc.
- CFST — Certified Fascial Stretch Therapist – Level II, Stretch to Win Institute
- TSCC — Twist Sport Conditioning Coach – Level 1, Twist Conditioning Inc. (Sport Movement Specialist / Sport Balance Specialist/ Sport Strength Specialist)
- CSAC — Certified Speed and Agility Coach – Athlete’s Acceleration
Carla has been coaching at Totum Life Science since 2006. She’s been a competitive soccer player (team captain and MVP), cross-country skier, basketball player and mountain biker (team co-captain and MVP). In her final year at Queen’s, she received the ‘Top Female Athlete of the Year’ award for inter-university competitive clubs. Carla applies the scientific principles of anatomy, physiology, motor learning and biomechanics to create challenging, fun, safe and effective workouts for general population and post-injury clients. In pursuit of bridging the ‘rehab to performance’ gap, continuing education has always been a passion and a must for Carla. A few of the numerous workshops, seminars and courses she has attended live include:
- Dr. Stu McGill, Ultimate Back & 3h Back Assessment
- Eric Cressey, Making Movement Better
- Charlie Weingroff, Training=Rehab
- DNS, Weightlifting
In her free time, Carla focuses on her own conditioning for running, strength and agility. She enjoys snowboarding, cycling, trekking, jamming on the guitar and drums, and hanging out with her pup, Webster.
Certifications / Experience
- NSCA Certified Personal Trainer
- Medical Exercise Specialist
- NASM Performance Enhancement Specialist
- 3 years, helped train hockey and lacrosse players ranging from minor to pro level
- Weight loss
- Strength training
- Post-rehab training
- Sport-specific training
My training philosophy is to take an unbiased look at how to achieve the client’s goal in the most efficient and sustainable process possible. Using programming and exercise selection that fit the client’s strengths and limitations. Everyone is built differently, so why would I use one-size fits all approach?
- Strength & Conditioning Coach Level 2 — PICP
- Certified Fascial Stretch Therapist Level II
- Certification in Fascial Abrasion Technique
- Back Health Specialist — Darby Training Systems
- Personal Training Specialist — Can Fit Pro
- BA Psychology (including courses in Kinesiology)
- First Aid and CPR certified
- Structural Balance
- Strength training and conditioning
- Nutritional guidance
- B.A. in Philosophy and Political Science from University of Waterloo
- Medical Exercise Specialist (M.E.S.)
- NSCA Certified strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS)
- Specialist in Performance Nutrition (SPN)
- ISSA Fitness Trainer Certified
Tom knows how to build strength. He has over 15 years of weight training experience including power lifting and Olympic lifting. His love of strength makes personal training a natural fit for his career. Tom prides himself on being able to work with any demographic at any age. Recently, he worked with a 60 year-old cancer survivor to enter a master’s bodybuilding competition.
His specialties are in postural analysis, rehabilitation training, strength and power development, sport specific training and managing body composition changes. He is active in the Toronto Ultimate Frisbee league in the summer. For the rest of the year, Tom practices mantis-style kung fu and chin na (Chinese grappling).
Level 3 Personal Trainer
Level 2 Totum Trainer
Certified Personal Trainer, CanFitPro
Resistance Training Specialist – Lower Body
Exercise Therapy Association, Level 1
DTS Kettlebell Fundamentals
AJ has worked in the health and fitness industry since 2013. He began his career as a fitness tester and consultant at Medcan, an executive medical company, and worked there for four years. His work performing 30 minute health assessments provided him an invaluable skillset around assessment, client rapport and fitness prescriptions. Realizing his fitness expertise and advice were specifically limited in time and accountability, AJ wanted to pursue a role more direct and impactful to others, so he transitioned to personal training full time.
For the next year, AJ would work with a variety of individuals at Goodlife. They were an eclectic mix of muscle and joint limitations, cognitive disabilities and cardiovascular barriers. In this setting, he developed a passion to improve his client experience towards movement assessments, exercise prescription and exercise periodization. Later on he would prove to maximize his clients’ goals and results through high client renewals and consistent client training frequency. This experience provided him an excellent foundation from which to join the more specialized training process at Totum.
Queenly studied Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) at the Acupuncture and Integrative Medicine Academy (formerly known as Shiatsu School of Canada). During her training as a TCM Practitioner, she also attained certification as an Osteopathic Manual Practitioner with the Ontario Osteopathic & Alternative Medicine Association, to better understand different treatment principals of pain management. Prior to getting her TCMP license, Queenly was certified as a Registered Yoga Instructor, (RYT) in 2010, and she has been teaching yoga ever since. She later added training in pilates and TRX to diversify her approach to health & fitness.
In clinic, Queenly thoroughly obs
When Queenly is not teaching or in clinic, she likes to cook with local and organic ingredients and support local restaurants. She also casually rock climbs and takes beginner contemporary dance and ballet to challenge herself. Her favourite ways to unwind include long hikes, having good food and good laughs with friends, reading, and taking t
Kim has over six years experience in the fitness industry, and has trained a wide variety of clients from strength and physique athletes to clientele with pain and mobility issues. She specializes in resistance training, corrective exercise, and fascial stretch therapy to help her clients reach their goals. Kim also uses her nutrition coaching skills as a key component to help her clients with fat loss and muscle building. She uses a holistic approach to coaching and educating her clients to live a healthy, happy, and fulfilling life.
- Paul Chek’s Holistic Lifestyle Coach
- Standard First Aid with CPR
- Lifetime Method Personal Training Certification
- National Academy of Sports Medicine – Corrective Exercise Specialist
- Precision Nutrition Coach
- Fascial Stretch Therapist Level 1
- CanFitPro – Personal Training Specialist – October 2014
- OFSAA “All-Sport” Coaching Certification – March 2013
- Bachelor of Education, Queen’s University
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours), Trent University
- Varsity Volleyball – Trent University
- Ontario Physique Association – Bikini Competitor